howto boot from usb iso?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:24:00 UTC 2011

James McKenzie wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Neal Becker wrote:

>>> Doesn't seem to work.  I get:
>>> Unsupported filesystem: iso9660
>>>

>> One thing I don't understand, is this USB key shows up as 2 devices.
>>
>> /dev/sr1 (101M) iso9660
> This appears to be the live-USB boot
>
>> /dev/sdc (16G) unallocated space
>
> That is the remaining space on the device.
>
> Can you boot from USB on your device?  There should be a MBR on the
> device as well...
>
> James McKenzie

I've been victim to this:
Unfortunately, many newer USB keys come with "U3" Windows software (badware?)
preinstalled. Removing U3 is highly recommended, and will free up additional
space on your USB key, as well as eliminate a source of potential conflicts.

Find a Windows machine, and try these programs to uninstall U3. Unfortunately,
they are a bit flaky. If one does not work, try the other:

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/u3/launchpadremoval.exe

http://www.u3.com/uninstall/