howto boot from usb iso?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:29:11 UTC 2011

JD wrote:

> On 05/03/11 10:15, Neal Becker wrote:

>>> As the package name suggests, you need to *create* the USB key and
>>> install the Fedora ISO on it.  That is, start over with an empty USB key
>>> and run the utility.
>> Starting with nothing but unallocated space on /dev/sdc, here's what liveusb-
>> creator says:
>>
>> Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso selected
>> Resetting Master Boot Record of /dev/sdc
>> Unsupported filesystem: iso9660
> For the sake of completeness, please
> post the command you used to  create the liveusb.

This was done with gui.  I typed 'liveusb-creator' from command line, enter root
pw, then select my ISO image from my hard drive, then press 'create usb' (IIRC).

Tried with unallocated space.  Then tried after creating a single partition with
VFAT (formatted).  This gives a different error:
Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso selected
Verifying filesystem...
Verifying ISO MD5 checksum
ISO MD5 checksum passed
Extracting live image to USB device...
Unable to find LiveOS on ISO
LiveUSB creation failed!
Unable to find LiveOS on ISO

I guess only an iso designed for live will work?  Actually, I was _trying_ to
use the usb for install, not for live.