Changing the gid and perms on a device

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 21:52:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/11 14:21, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM, JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I have a flash disk which is detected as /dev/sdc
>>>
>>> I need to use it as a virtualbox device.
>>> So I created a vmdk for the disk and registered it.
>>> Furthermore, virtualbox requires that in order to use
>>> the device, the device must belong to the group
>>> vboxusers.
>>> So I chmod'ed it to vboxusers.
>> I'm recalling this from memory so I hope it's accurate, but...
>>
>> Why don't you use it as a USB device instead?
>>
>> Also, I'm not completely sure that the disk has to be owned by
>> vboxusers. If you run virtualbox as yourself, and you're in the disks
>> group, I think that is sufficient.
>
> I tried that!
> It did not work.

Have you had USB working in VB at any point or just not with this device?

> As you can see, I am also in the disks group:
> $ id jd
> uid=1008(jd) gid=1008(jd)
> groups=0(root),6(disk),12(mail),11(cdrom),19(floppy),1009(vboxusers),1008(jd)

Strange. I know I was able to use a raw disk vmdk for my IPod without
chmod'ing it. I would usually use the USB option in VB but the USB
port of the Ipod seemed to be fried so I was left with FireWire.

>>> But somehow magically, it reverts back to being
>>> owned by the group disks.
>> Do you mean when you unplug and re-plug the flash drive? This is due
>> to udev so nothing really to do with selinux.
> No!
> It just magically reverts back to having gid of 6 (disks).

No clue then...

> I tried. When I click on the + icon on the right,
> it says no devices available.

Have you added a few empty USB filters to your VM?

Richard