Ubuntu Smooth Fonts on Fedora

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:52:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 5 May 2011 12:37:28 -0400
Tom H wrote:

> I was thinking more of the hinting and anti-aliasing settings rather
> than of the actual fonts.

In the ubuntu case, I'm pretty certain the actual
fonts are considerably different. I think I've even
seen some references to the default ubuntu fonts
being developed under contract to and copyright by
cannonical.

They may well have different settings by default as
well. I have tried lots of different live CDs on
lots of different computers with different displays,
and I have to say the defaults that come up on
ubuntu live CDs are vastly more readable than any
other distro I've tried.

(An opinion that doesn't carry over to the Unity
interface - GNOME 3 looks like a work of genius
compared to Unity :-).