Mounting apple .dmg files in fedora

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:55:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tried to mount an Apple .dmg file like so:
>>
>> mount -t hfs  -o loop ximg.dmg /mnt/dmg
>> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>>        dmesg
>>
>> Well, the blogs say this should work.
>> I even tried  -t hfsplus  with the same result.
>>
>> Am I missing a relevant package?
>>
>> I have hfsplus-tools-332.14-11.fc13.i686
>> installed, and F14 has no higher rev update for it,
>> at least according to yum.
>
> Apple .dmg files are compressed High Performance File System files
> (hpfs), not hfs.  I don't know if Fedora can or even should mount them

Yes, they appear to be compressed but I think you're mistaken on the
file system. Googling HPFS and Apple seemed to indicate the HPFS was
more of an OS/2 format and that HFS+ was the current file system.

I think the problem is that the image is compressed. One site
recommended using "file" to see if it was helpful, i.e.:

file <image>.dmg

I also found references to a few programs that can convert a dmg to
something easer to use.

Richard