Mounting apple .dmg files in fedora

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri May 6 00:31:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to mount an Apple .dmg file like so:
>
> mount -t hfs  -o loop ximg.dmg /mnt/dmg
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg
>
> Well, the blogs say this should work.
> I even tried  -t hfsplus  with the same result.
>
> Am I missing a relevant package?
>
> I have hfsplus-tools-332.14-11.fc13.i686
> installed, and F14 has no higher rev update for it,
> at least according to yum.

Wikipedia has some good info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Disk_Image

It suggests the command line:
mount -o loop,ro -t hfsplus imagefile.dmg /mnt/mountpoint

Not sure if the ro will make a difference ... you might have to
install some other hfs utilities to make that work. I know that there
seem to be two mutually incompatible took sets for hfs in the
repositories.

There are also some other conversion utilities mentioned there.

While dmg files are disk images, it almost seems that File Roller
should be the right tool.

/Mike