skype steals sound card

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat May 7 08:13:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, 07 May 2011 09:55:23 +0200, FP wrote:

> > Did you turn off Pulseaudio? Because it's supposed to prevent this behavior.
>
> No! skype uses pulseaudio (it is the only choice I have in the options.
>
> I listen to music by the way of xmms which does not semm to use
> pulseaudio: I cannot see any reference to pulseaudion in xmms options.

For XMMS, you would need to install the separate "xmms-pulse" package,
which includes the output driver for Pulse Audio. Note that it isn't
trouble-free and not well-maintained.

If you don't know any good reason to stick to old XMMS, you could switch
to Audacious:
http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/XMMS-vs-Audacious_Screenshot.png