Install Fedora on an android tablet or an iPad?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 23:43:55 UTC 2011

On 5/7/11 1:18 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-04-22 at 09:30 -0600, CS_DBA wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Anyone know of any projects / methods to install Fedora on a tablet
>>> like the iPad or an android tablet?
>>>
>>> I have an iPad and I run into things I wish I could do with it every
>>> day. Linux on my tablet would rock!
>> I just bought a Dell Inspiron Duo.
>>
>> Firstly, I'd say its an iPad killer.  Its has USB ports.  It has enough
>> power to run youtube videos.  It does Flash, for better or worse.  It
>> has a 320GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM.  It has Bluetooth, ie it can be
>> tethered to a phone.  It has enough power to run real applications.  And
>> on and on.
>>
>> Probably the biggest downfalls are that it doesn't have a camera and its
>> a bit heavier than an iPad, but it also has a real (usable) keyboard
>> built right in and when you close it up the screen is totally protected.
>>
> The lack of a camera will be a problem for some people.
>
>> As far as Linux goes, I haven't run it (yet) on my Duo, but there are
>> videos on youtube of it running Ubuntu Unity in a pretty snappy fashion.
>>
>> If you (or others) want to run Linux on a Tablet, I'd say its a very
>> good place to start.  I'll let everyone know when I get around to
>> installing it.
>>
> The world awaits your progress.
>
>> The other thing to be aware of is that the KDE team is working on
>> something called Plasma-Active.  I recommend Googling it.
>>
> Yes, now that GNOME is adopting a "you will do it the way we like it" attitude
> I'm looking at other WM options.

And this is a problem, how?  Remember, we do have options.  Windows and
MacOSX users don't.

Gnome is 'dumbing' down, as I've stated several times, here and to
others in the RH network, to capture those who are not happy with
Windows and the repeated problems they have encountered.  Progress on
the Wine project has helped immensely in this effort as well.  I do
expect to see a growth aspect as people move from Windows with its
inherent problems to a much more stable workstation platform, Linux.  We
just have to make it 'friendly' and we will be further along...

Then we can hope that some of them will 'look under the hood' and
realize there are better performing WMs for their purposes.

James McKenzie