Fedora14 is filling up my HDD without a reason

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon May 9 07:42:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Java is supposed to be sandboxed, as part of the "protect your computer"
> security mindset.  But I begin to doubt whether any browser actually
> does that.

You´re confusing "applets" that run sandboxed inside the VM and
browser, with no local file access, with JAVA WEB START.

Java Web Start allows you to launch full java _desktop_ applications
(like Azureus/Vuze) applications with a single click, from a remote
web server.

These are SIGNED applications, that you must first _grant permission_
to run in a screen where you are shown who is the author and crypto
signature information.

Downloading and running binaries from trusted places is nothing
unheard of in the Linux world I´m sure, like when you download and run
those binary ATI drivers for Linux... ;-P

FC