Fedora14 is filling up my HDD without a reason

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon May 9 23:52:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 15:46 -0500, Aradenatorix Veckhom Vacelaevus
wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> Well, thanks a lot for all your helping, all the goodwill and your advices.
> I think I must clarify few points right now, for don't confuse you more.
>
> Well as I told you I did my installation over an old Dell Optiplex GX260
> with a Pentium4 CPU, 2 GB in RAM DDR @ 400 MHz and using an old IDE HDD with
> only 10 GB.
>
> As this is an experimental project where I only need to use few months this
> installation, inside home I have almost nothing. Also I have to say that I
> do not installed anything from source, so I haven't to compile anything
> therefore I have not intermediate files, I installed everything from
> System>And and remove software or directly from YUM.
>
> And according to Joel Rees who suggested a step by step method, I applied
> the YUM clean all before and it helped me. Thanks Now I have 840 MB free. I
> have not tar files there and in fact as I checked before, the main problem
> is inside the /usrs and /var directories, but I'm not shure what can I
> remove there without cause damage at the system.

Since you (wisely) use yum for package installation/removal, you
shouldn't touch /var or /user directly but check which package owns it
and consider removing the package, e.g.

$ rpm -qf /var/huge-file
bigpackage-2.4.3-fc14.x86_64
$ sudo yum erase bigpackage

> Genes told me that I need to scrub my cache, that's right, but how?

You already did that using "yum clean all". Note that "yum clean
packages" would probably have freed almost as much space without
removing yum metadata, which is why I suggested it earlier.

poc