Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue May 10 21:59:42 UTC 2011

Marko Vojinovic writes:

> Ok, I just lost enthusiasm in further use of skype. Being closed source was
> bad enough already, but I tolerated it due to its good-enough quality,
> reliability and free-of-charge use for skype-to-skype calls. But now that
> Microsoft is taking it over, I suddenly lost faith that these good features
> will still be there from now on (not to mention Linux support).
>
> Thus the question: is there a FOSS VoIP app that provides roughly the same
> quality, reliability and free-as-in-beer service?

Ekiga is in Fedora. Haven't used in a while, but last time I checked it
worked fine as a plain, garden-variety SIP VOIP client, with video.

Ekiga worked great when I tried it, but I really didn't care about the
video, and it was easier for me to just get a separate VOIP adapter, and
plug it into my network.