Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Konstantinos Karantias kostis at gtklocker.com
Tue May 10 22:32:57 UTC 2011

Am I the only believing that they will just make the development for
Linux slower and will not cease it at all? I don't think they are that
bad.

If they did such a thing, Skype would lose its Linux users. And, AFAIK
they're some.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:18 AM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/11 14:54, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>
> Ok, I just lost enthusiasm in further use of skype. Being closed source was
> bad enough already, but I tolerated it due to its good-enough quality,
> reliability and free-of-charge use for skype-to-skype calls. But now that
> Microsoft is taking it over, I suddenly lost faith that these good features
> will still be there from now on (not to mention Linux support).
>
> Thus the question: is there a FOSS VoIP app that provides roughly the same
> quality, reliability and free-as-in-beer service?
>
> I do know that there are such VoIP apps, but I am not familiar with the
> quality of service, availability and accessibility of each of those. I am
> willing to migrate and start persuading my existing skype contacts (which
> are
> scattered all over the globe) to migrate to a FOSS solution as well. But I
> cannot do that if this alternative does not provide functionality that at
> least matches that of skype. It has to be up to the task.
>
> So which one is on the top of the list, in your opinion?
>
> TIA, :-)
> Marko
>
> I am sorry to hear the MS is taking over skype.
> I am afraid that MS will soon alter the proprietary
> protocol so that existing Linux and other non MS
> ports will cease to function.
>
> I have tried to run VoipBuster windows app on wine.
> It always fails for connect to the main server.
>

> --

Konstantinos Karantias (http://gtklocker.com)

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/gtklocker