Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:42:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 19:32, Konstantinos Karantias
<kostis at gtklocker.com> wrote:
> Am I the only believing that they will just make the development for
> Linux slower and will not cease it at all? I don't think they are that
> bad.
>
> If they did such a thing, Skype would lose its Linux users. And, AFAIK
> they're some.

OF COURSE THEY WON´T. If they did the DOJ will come after them on
antitrust law grounds. What I suspect they will do is drag their feet,
leave it in perpetual beta, compile it with some akward requirements,
and eventually, a couple years down the line, when everyone has
forgotten about the acquisition altogether, discontinue it: MISSION
ACCOMPLISHED.

Until that day, the neglected child will serve as a decoy "see, we
support non-Windows OSs" just like MS IE 5.0 for Solaris served them
while the DOJ was investigating the Redmond Juggernaut (it was dropped
after a few years).

FC