Formating HDD b4 installing Fedora

Braja Kishore Chattaraj bkchattaraj at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 03:34:24 UTC 2011

I assembled a new PC to install Fedora 14. Boot order is USB, CD/DVD drive, and finally HDD. When I plug the Fedora 14 CD I get the countdown screen with blue background and then some gibberish text fills the screen. From what I can tell it is trying to write to the HDD and failing. Tried a couple of other distro CDs / DVDs with same issue. The only logical thing I can think of is to format the HDD. Can you suggest if there are any free tools to format the disk. I am guessing it will install Fedora 14 when it has been formatted. The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB.
I am surprised the Fedora CD does not prompt me to format the HDD like Windows CDs usually do. Any pointers towards a solution would help.
Thanks,Braja