Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu May 12 04:16:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 21:01, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Plus, I can configure it with my local SIP VOIP service, and take
> You mean like Vonage or MagicJack?
>
> Has anyone heard of lingo (http://www.lingo.com/)
> voip provider?
> What is/was your experience with them?

Exactly, SIP is an open protocol. So that means that you can use any
VOIP "softphone" that you want (or a hardware terminal with RJ11
output sockets to plug an analog phone)

Basically any SIP connection (hardware or software) needs 3 parameters:

Your SIP User name
Your SIP password
the SIP server providing you service.

I´m based in Argentina so for local calls I use a local SIP provider,
which provides me with a local Buenos Aires number +54 11 ...
(www.metrotel.com.ar)

But with JITSI I can have several SIP accounts logged in at once with
phone numbers around the globe (like a local US number, another in UK,
etc) for inbound calls.

Here´s some:
http://www.mydivert.com/buy_telephone_numbers/41_UnitedKingdom_numbers.
http://www.mydivert.com/buy_telephone_numbers/42_USA_numbers.html

I´m sure if you Google around you´ll be able to find many options for
SIP telephony. Also, it´s possible to do IP-to-IP SIP calls without a
monthly fee.

http://www.ipkall.com/
http://www.callcentric.com/
FC