Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu May 12 11:24:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 08:12:21 -0300,
  Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 04:08, Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > to use our Fedora SIP inside at FAS, right?
> > How can I acitvate  this?
> > Cu
> > Zoltan
> >

> Hi Zoltan,
>
> Sorry I don´t get what you mean. What is "our Fedora SIP" and what is FAS?

Fedora ran an asterisk server that accepted inbound SIP connections from
contributors and could forward calls to contributors who ran SIP clients
that were registered with the server. There were also a few inbound numbers
for accepting inbound calls from normal phones. This system provided
conference calls and could record them. I used this system to participate
in a couple of FADs and tried using it for the Community Gaming experiment.

The usgage of the system was very low though and didn't justify the cost.

It would have been nice for FUDCONs, but people didn't plan ahead for its
use and it didn't get used much. If people wanted to make remote participation
in FUDCONs useful, some sort of live streaming of the on site discussions
really needs to be done. IRC can't keep up without dropping a lot.