Fedora14 is filling up my HDD without a reason

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 12 12:17:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 20:46 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> Yesterday's metadata: 15M
> Yesterday's downloads: 90M
>
> 17% additional bandwidth burden.
>
> Today, no downloads, so it would be nothing but overhead.
>
> I'm not sure, since the mirrors I usually connect to are on gigabit
> pipes (and my pipe is limited at 1Mbit), that 15 Megabytes (in about a
> minute and a half) three or four times a week constiutes an
> unreasonable burden on the infrastructure.

Multiplied by all the other people who would do the same...

Let's not just consider /that/ server, but whether every server was
overburdened by lots of users needlessly adding to their traffic.

> I have had my cache clogged on occasion, preventing security updates
> from downloading, which is why I tend to use the clean all option.

Though, rarely does the fault actually require the brute force "all"
option.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686