Fedora14 is filling up my HDD without a reason

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:16:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't tried other options such as "yum clean headers" or "yum clean
> dbcache". I also have a 1Mbps connection and re-downloading all those
> package files is painful, especially as the files themselves are never
> the source of the problem.

One option is to rsync the files in /var/lib/cache/* to another local
machine or local disk/backup - and then if you have this kind of issue
you can copy the rpm files back to the appropriate directory within
/var/lib/cache, hence saving the download from the server out in the
big wide world.

In fact where there are several machine all running say f14 it makes
sense to rsync the cache files from one machine to another before
doing the yum update - that way although the metadata will be
refreshed then the rpm files are already in place and the update can
go ahead without the need for any download at all from the external
server.  Hence if you have say 5 machines and you download the updates
on the first machine - then rsync to the others then when the other
machines do their own yum updates they will only need to download any
rpms that the first machine does not have in its package set.

So when there are say 200MiB of rpms, then you would save 800MiB of
additional duplicate downloads - which does certainly help with
bandwidth limits from your isp, it helps avoid overloading the mirror
server, and it save pots of coffee brewing time and makes life less
stressed as an additional bonus!
--
mike c