Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 12 14:53:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, 12 May 2011 13:16:47 +0200
Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well guys,
>
> After we prefer freedom, and much easier to you and make meetings in
> voice, and skype has been bought by MS.... We have an opportunity to
> all fedora users keep contacted with each other.
> I really would like to see an hassle free opportunity instead of
> fighting with google talk/empathy/decoders and this renew can be our
> glue inside the community. Also I think this phone server can be our
> podcaster, and an tool not just for us users, else mentors, and
> between other communities. I think it's time to expand this to other
> distros, and let it cooperating with others through this, and we don't
> need anymore skype. I know that one is still an closed network, and
> many of our contact has been stayed because there are no other
> possibility.
>
> So anything that I could do for this, to be resurrected - I'll be
> here. Let it be the newest feature for F16, an be promoted as a
> possibility, and we don't need skype at all.

Yes, fedora talk has been retired.

It was not used very much at all, and didn't have any interested folks
willing to fix it and maintain it moving forward. ;(

I'd suggest looking instead at Sip Witch:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SIP_Witch_Domain_Telephony
(added as a feature in f13)

This basically allows you to run your own sip server and let others
connect to it to talk to you.

kevin