Does the Asus Xonar DG sound card work well in F14?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 00:29:15 UTC 2011

I'm having issues with my builtin audio. At first I thought it was the
new speakers I bought. I know they're not quite as my Cambridge
Soundworks but the external 5.1 decoder is having issues so I figured
it was time. I hear a high tinny noise and assumed it was the cheap
amplifier but after plugging in some old but nice SGI headphones I
still heard it.

To that end I'm in the market for an inexpensive sound card but don't
want to go too cheap and get something equivalent to my onboard audio.

I found the Asus Xonar DG[1] for a decent price but it uses the
CMI8786 which is supported in alsa 1.0.24 (which I have) OR kernel
2.6.38, which I don't. I'm really hoping the OR is right and it's not
supposed to be an AND.

Interestingly enough this chip doesn't appear to have internal volume
controls so I'll have to rely on PulseAudio.

Anyone have this card working (well)? Even though it's not a big
investment I'd like to know someone has it working.

Richard