Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri May 13 02:33:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:48, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> No review requests but I think I know why, it appears to be dependent
> on Sun Java, I'm not sure if it will work with Iced Tea... This could
> get interesting.

OpenJDK is, for all intents and purpoes, Sun JRE.
In fact, the differences should be minimum. And when JDK7 is released
in a few weeks, the final code will be contributed back to OpenJDK (in
fact, one can get an OpenJDK v7 now, although the code is not
finished).

So... the only difference will be if you get the freeware binary from
Java.com, or the OpenJDK release from your favourite package
manager...

AFAIK "IcedTea" only includes a free implementation of the browser
plug-in glue, and Java Web Start, which were not included as part of
OpenJDK.

FC