Best FOSS alternative for skype?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:53:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Second thought: JITSI (formerly known as SIP communicator) makes use
> of native code for certain routines (surely having to do with webcam
> support and audio, to avoid the mess that was Java Media Framework
> (JMF)).
>
> You should ask in the Jitsi-developer mailing list, I´m sure they´ll
> be more than happy to help get Jitsi built smoothtly for Fedora repos
> using OpenJDK.
>
> http://www.jitsi.org/index.php/Documentation/FAQ#ml-subscribe

I've subscribed to the dev list we'll see where it leads, but one
problem I can see already is that it bundles ffmpeg, so the package
would have to be hosted on a 3rd party repo (RPMFusion or atrpms).
Even then, bundled libraries are still discouraged. Hopefully they
don't customize it and can use the system installed ffmpeg...

Richard