pings with noise-apology

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat May 14 01:52:18 UTC 2011

On 13May2011 08:17, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 21:04 -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
| > As root, "modprobe pcspkr"
| >
| I need to apologize. The above suggestion does work. But not on my
| laptop. It works on my desktop. What is also strange is that the pcspkr
| is not loaded by default. So you need to load it explicitly to make the
| ping -a feature work. At least it is not loaded by default on my
| machines.

So, this command:

  echo ^G

also produces no noise? Because that's all ping is goging to be doing.

That ^G is meant to be a literal ctrl-G, possibly typed as ctrl-v
then ctrl-g.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Personally, I find blinking text on a page to be extraordinarily annoying and
my first instinct is to back up one page, right away.
        - William Barr <wbarr at leland.stanford.edu>