Networking problem

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sat May 14 16:17:40 UTC 2011

On 05/14/2011 10:27 AM, JD wrote:
> On 05/14/11 08:48, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>> On 05/14/2011 09:36 AM, JD wrote:
>>> On my F14, I am running a firewall that accepts specific connection on
>>> specific ports from some machines on the LAN.
>>>
>>> However, for one machine I made a general rule to accept all connections:
>>>
>>> -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.60 -j ACCEPT
>>>
>>> After restarting the firewall,
>>>
>>> I still am unable to ping that machine and it is unable to ping me.
>>> That machine is not running a firewall.
>>>
>>> I can ping the router and another machine I have on the LAN.
>>> The machine at 192.168.1.60 can do the same.

  Can you ssh in from the other machine ? Assuming yes .. then ..

  If its 'ping' you're focused on you might add this in a shell (or
command line) - you need to allow some ICMP packets for proper network
function .. in addition to 'ping' (aka echo-reply/request).

    icmp_types=( echo-reply echo-request \
                 time-exceeded fragmentation-needed \
                 destination-unreachable 30 )

    mum_icmp_type=${#icmp_types[@]}

    #
    # These are on your firewall machine
    #
    ip=192.168.1.1
    eth=eth0

    # Input
    j=0; while ((j < num_icmp_type))
    do
       itype=${icmp_types[j]}
       iptables -A INPUT -d $ip -i $eth -p icmp --icmp-type $itype \
                -j ACCEPT
       let j=$j+1
    done

    # Output
    j=0; while ((j < num_icmp_type))
    do
      itype=${icmp_types[j]}
       iptables -A OUTPUT -s $ip -o $eth -p icmp --icmp-type $itype \
                -j ACCEPT
       let j=$j+1
    done