Networking problem

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:17:50 UTC 2011

On Saturday, May 14, 2011 09:27:55 AM JD wrote:
> On 05/14/11 08:48, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> > On 05/14/2011 09:36 AM, JD wrote:
> >> On my F14, I am running a firewall that accepts specific connection on
> >> specific ports from some machines on the LAN.
> >>
> >> However, for one machine I made a general rule to accept all
> >> connections:
> >>
> >> -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.60 -j ACCEPT
> >>
> >> After restarting the firewall,
> >>
> >> I still am unable to ping that machine and it is unable to ping me.
> >> That machine is not running a firewall.
> >>
> >> I can ping the router and another machine I have on the LAN.
> >> The machine at 192.168.1.60 can do the same.
> >>
> >> What else do I need to do to be able to talk to machine 192.168.1.60
> >> and it to my fedora machine?
> >
> > Try:
> >
> > -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.60/32 -j ACCEPT
> >
> > there needs to be a netmask in the syntax.
>
> Tried it.
> Did not change anything :(

Could we see more of the network topology please?

Can you do on both machines:
/bin/netstat -rn

/sbin/ifconfig

If you don't mind, it might be easiest to copy your filewall
rules so we can see them.  As root,
/sbin/iptables -L -v

If you are concerned with security and sharing your public IP address,
may I suggest changing the public IP address ranges to something else,
like xxx.xxx.xxx.0, yyy.yyy.yyy.0, etc, in the output.

Another question...if you have multiple ethernet devices,
which device is 192.168.1.60 connected to?