pings with noise-apology

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat May 14 22:49:20 UTC 2011

On 14May2011 21:44, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
| On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 11:52 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > So, this command:
| >   echo ^G
| > also produces no noise? Because that's all ping is goging to be doing.
| >
| > That ^G is meant to be a literal ctrl-G, possibly typed as ctrl-v
| > then ctrl-g.
|
| All you have to do to test the terminal bell is press the control and g
| keys while you're in the terminal.  You don't need to try to print the
| character.

Depends on your shell; a lot of shells with command line editing will
not literally echo the ^G as you type it but embed a visible ^G in the
command line (echoing ^ and G, not the BEL character), and ^G may also
_be_ a control code for the command line editor. As it is in the zsh I'm
using.

So, yes, on a traditional cooked mode command line typing a ^G will work
because it will be echoed directly as it is typed, but it's not always
the case (and, indeed, not the case where I'm typing:-)

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The Microsoft manuals, of course, are just a load of self-serving propaganda
written by tekkies under the supervision of public relations folks.
        - David Lloyd-Jones