Networking problem

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 00:55:15 UTC 2011

On 05/14/11 16:46, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 05/14/2011 07:10 PM, Rick Sewill wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 14, 2011 03:27:53 PM JD wrote:
>> This setup sounds like wifi bridge mode as opposed to wifi ad-hoc mode.
>>
>> Question: in wifi bridging, does the packet from the Powerbook,
>> which is destined for the Fedora, go through the gateway,
>> or can the packet still go directly from the Powerbook to the Fedora?
>>
>> If the answer is the former, I would ask why the gateway doesn't
>> relay the packet to the Fedora.  if the answer is the latter,
>> I would assume we should see entries in the ARP tables, in both machines,
>> for the other device in question, and would ask what are the ARP entries
>> in both the Fedora and the Powerbook.
>>
>> Could you tell us the make/model of the gateway please.
>> I read, on the Internet, different wifi gateways have different capabilities.
>>

>    Good thoughts Rick ..
>
>    The wifi bridges sometimes have 2 'modes' ... one  allows wireless
> clients to see one another - the other mode does not.
>
>    It is possible that his wifi router is set to disallow wireless to
> wireless traffic, and that may be a user settable option in the router.
I believe I indicated the router is AT&T/2WIRE
gateway, part of a bundled service for
TV, Phone and Internet (Uverse).
I will look into the router to see if your guess
is correct.

OK, I looked, and I saw no user settable feature that
  [en/dis]ables inter-wireless clients communications.

Perhaps it is an unpublished feature.
Gues it is time to call the that horrible
customer service bureaucracy!