Networking problem

Shane Dawalt sdawalt at donet.com
Sun May 15 04:09:26 UTC 2011

On 05/14/2011 10:59 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> On 5/14/11 7:41 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

>>> Tried it.
>>> Tracerout is unable to get to target after 30 tries.
>>> All it shows is asterisks.
>> Sounds to me like traceroute is trying to go "direct" between machines....
>>
> That it is if the two devices exist on the same subnet, which is a bad
> thing for wireless.  Your suggestion on how to solve this is 'spot on'.
> Unless traffic is local, it should go to the gateway on wireless.  Wired
> is much different.

   Wired and wireless are essentially the same.  They all adhere to the
IEEE 802.3 spec and the 802.1 bridging paradigms.  Copper, light, air
... it's all in the physical layer as stipulated in IEEE 802.3.  Once
the electrical signals are delivered, then it becomes IEEE 802.1 for
bridging and all the RFCs for IP and ICMP, TCP and UDP and etc.  You can
build a network with 254 hosts (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254) using both
wired and wireless and it works quite well.  I've done that in my house
for the last 10 years.  I work at a place where we have 40 buildings
with 20 wireless networks that span virtual-LANs across our campus
connecting to routing interfaces throughout the campus.  But, as one
poster has already pointed out, there are different modes of the radios
that can cause problems.

   However, the OP appears to be pinging wired machine (having an en1
interface) from a wireless machine (having a wlan interface).  If this
is true then the radio mode shouldn't make any different.

   I'm almost ready to break down asking for ARP information.  But I
think we have one other test before diving deep into the dungeons.

   One thing confuses me here.   The OP is trying to ping 192.168.1.60.
Yet, the physical interface of the ifconfig listing for machine at
192.168.1.60 shows en1 as having 192.168.1.70.  In fact, there is no
physical interface on that computer having 192.168.1.60 configured on
it.  However, there is a route table listing that says to get to
192.168.1.60, packets should be routed to localhost (127.0.0.1).  Here's
an excerpt of what I am describing:

192.168.1.60       127.0.0.1          UHS         0        0    lo0

   So, the next question is; is there something in the host that is
actually listening for packets destined for 192.168.1.60?  Because at
this point, it looks like any packets destined for 192.168.1.60 hit
127.0.0.1 and then die for the lack of a responder.  The machine won't
respond, because there is no physical interface having an address that
matches the destination of the packet.

   My next test would be to try pinging 192.168.1.70 from the
192.168.1.108 machine and see what happens.  (Of course, modify the
iptables of the 192.168.1.108 machine appropriately.)

   Shane