Fedora 14: Sound, video on iMac 27 inch

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Sun May 15 05:31:27 UTC 2011

Dear Folks,

On 15/05/11 14:12 +1000, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>Dear Folks,
>
>Okay, after much mucking about, I now have sound through the
>headphones only, not yet through the speakers.
>
>I added this line to /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf:
>options snd-hda-intel model=imac27
>
>The clue came from seeing this kernel patch:
>https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/758902/
>
>Next to get sound out through the speakers.  Any ideas anyone?

It simply came down to running alsamixer -c0, unmuting all the
outputs, including surround sound, and saving the results with
sudo alsactl store 0.  Now my son's speakers work!

Next is to get the video working with the non-proprietary drivers.  It
seems that the problem, according to David Arlie, is the monitor, not
the video card.  I don't know what to do about this.
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org