Networking problem

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Sun May 15 12:05:09 UTC 2011

On Saturday, May 14, 2011 11:45:47 PM JD wrote:
> Well, that bridge is the router.
> Wireless clients that are associated with an Access Point
> in "infrastructure" mode cannot directly talk to each other.
> Their traffic must  flow through the router.
> If I had set the two computers to use AdHoc mode of
> "association" with each other, then indeed, their traffic
> would go directly to each other without any other facility
> in between.

I've been quiet because I don't know enough about the internals of wireless.
This discussion gives me a question.

What would happen if the computers were set to AdHoc mode?
It's unclear to me if the gateway has to be set to AdHoc mode too.
As an aside, I'm curious if most devices allow an AdHoc mode setting.

From a 64000 foot view, I'd expect the following.
The two wireless computers would find each other.
The two wireless computers would not find 192.168.1.1, the computer on the LAN,
UNLESS the gateway answered the ARP for computers  on the LAN.
From the ARP table on the Powerbook, from another response in this thread,
it appears the gateway answers ARP requests for computers on the LAN.

This may be a wild goose chase, but I'm curious what happens in this case.

I'm not sure if you would want to actually run your network in AdHoc mode.
I don't know the direct and indirect consequences of doing this.