F14: sound from speaker AND headphone

Frank Elsner frank at moltke28.B.Shuttle.DE
Sun May 15 17:21:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011 12:42:01 -0400 sean darcy wrote:
> Running F14 updated, when I plug in my headphone, sound still comes from
> the speaker (and the headphone). I'd like to shut off the speaker when
> the headphone is plugged in.
>
> How do I do that?

Same procedure as last year :-)

On my Lenovo 3000 C200 I had to create file  /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
containing the line
                      options snd_hda_intel model=lenovo

The basics of this are described in
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/95675-centos-5-rhel5-installation-problems-tweaks.html
(Section Configuration soundcard/chip notebooks)

| Notebooks have integrated soundchips which might be detected correctly, but who do not work. You need to find out which chipset your notebook has and configure the system. Follow these steps:
| 1. Find out which soundchip you have:
| Code:
|
| cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
|
| This will return model of your sound card, for example: "Codec: Realtek ALC660-VD".
| Your sound card is an ALC660-VD.
| 2. Check out the documentation of Alsa, the document you need can be found on your system:
| /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt or on the internet, see here. Look up which id you should use to identify the card.
| 3. Edit or create the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and adjust or add the following line:
| Code:
|
| options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL
|
| Replace "MODEL" with the right id (you might need to experiment to see which one):
| Code:
|
| 	ALC861VD/660VD
| 	  3stack	3-jack
| 	  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF OUT
| 	  6stack-dig	6-jack with SPDIF OUT
| 	  3stack-660	3-jack (for ALC660VD)
| 	  3stack-660-digout 3-jack with SPDIF OUT (for ALC660VD)
| 	  lenovo	Lenovo 3000 C200
| 	  dallas	Dallas laptops
| 	  hp		HP TX1000
| 	  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)
|
| 4. Reboot and ready!

You may need to read
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

--Frank Elsner