Accident, deleted .config

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 16 19:23:44 UTC 2011

On 16/05/11 13:18, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 13:09:03 -0400, BG wrote:
>
>>          I managed to delete .config which takes out a large group of
>>          directories. I can boot the computer but can't run X.
> Why not?
>
>>          I am about to re-install F-14 out of desperation unless someone
>>          knows a way to repair the damage. It will be a few weeks before
>>          F-15  will be available and I would like to keep that computer
>>          working until then.
>>
>>          Any suggestion, what to do next?
> Boot into a non-X run-level, create a fresh user account, use that
> one. It will start with an empty ~/.config/ btw.

        Did that but still can't startx.

        Fatal server error:
        no screens found

> Reinstalling F-14 would not "repair the damage", because it wouldn't
> touch your user's ~/.config. Repairing the broken account would need to
> start with finding out what error you get.

        Why not? I would use the F-14 DVD to create a new install.

        My problem is the updates to a new install increase my usage
        which is limited by my ISP.

    and

        "try to reconfigure X with  Xorg -config ?"

    requires some argument but I don't know what to try there.

    Bob