Accident, deleted .config

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 16 20:11:40 UTC 2011

On 16/05/11 15:57, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 15:23:44 -0400, BG wrote:
>
>>> Boot into a non-X run-level, create a fresh user account, use that
>>> one. It will start with an empty ~/.config/ btw.
>>>
>>          Did that but still can't startx.
>>
>>          Fatal server error:
>>          no screens found
> Then you experience a problem other than a removed $HOME/.config dir.
> [When you wrote "I can boot the computer but can't run X" did you mean that
> X fails to start even _before_ logging in at the GDM greeter screen?]
> What do you find in X's log file?

        Don't know about the greeter screen, I always set inittab to "3".

        I could log in as bobg, even tried root once, and made new user
        rfg, failure would occur when I entered "startx."

        It's moot now, I've begun re-install, the drive is reformatted.

        Thank you for the help though. It's just that I can see this
        turning into a major effort and it's simpler just to bite the
        bullet and start over.

        Bob