Protected WLAN

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 17:11:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17/05/11 14:30, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Which WLAN protection method would you recommend?
>> * Shared key
>> * WPA-Personal
>> * WPA2-Personal
>>
>> My router also supports Radius with 802.1x and WPA/WPA2-Enterprise, but these require strange stuff like certificates that leave me clueless. :)
>>

> Also if it's your home wLan, hide it, don't broadcast the ssid.
> So those in your neighbourhood won't even know you have a wireless.
Yes, they will.  However, not broadcasting the SSID is a good step,
but not necessarily all you should do.  When a client connects to the
network, it inquiries if the network is available.  A patient
wardriver will pick this up.  However, they will not be able to get
easily and will move on in most cases if they see WPA2.

> *Some android devices, don't like hidden wireless*
True.

The next step is MAC restricting and a lot more.  However, just
employing security and hidden SSID is a great start.  Most people do
not do this.

James McKenzie