Protected WLAN

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue May 17 18:35:09 UTC 2011

James McKenzie wrote:
> True.  Bet you have a lock on every door to your house as well.
> Turning off the SSID is a deterent.  Make them go somewhere else.
> Same with door locks.  If I want to get into your house, I will.  Even
> if it means using TNT.

James, why are you attempting to justify this pointless, unsecure,
method of wireless configuration?

SSID hiding is *not* secure. It is *not* a deterrent. Security through
obscurity is *not* security.

> Same thing here.  It will take more 'work'.  Make them go away.

Obtaining a MAC takes seconds - i.e. no more 'work' than it is to find
your 'hidden' SSID.

These snake oil methods of wireless security need to simply die.