Protected WLAN

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:47:24 UTC 2011

On 05/17/11 11:23, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 07:16pm on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 (UK time), JD scrawled:
>
>> Right. Also, it is not necessarily "neighbours" that are adjacent
>> you your house or a few houses down. Someone can park a car
>> not far from your house, and using the type of home-made antenna
>> James mentioned, they can hack your network.
>> I would strongly encourage you to use MAC address whitelist.
> Because someone with the knowhow to make antenna like this and hack your
> wireless password would have no idea how to spoof mac addresses?
>
> Steve

It just reduces the number of would be hackers to those
with the knowhow. And the probability that such
knowledgeable hackers being near your vicinity is much
less than the casual hackers without such knowledge.
In network security, even the simplest measures should
not be dropped just because there are those with the tools
and the knowhow to hack it. It's like saying No need to lock
your car because the door can easily be opened by an
expert carthief.