Amazing Linux victory!

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 23:57:57 UTC 2011

I just hooked up a Dell Zino HD via hdmi to a vizio HD TV
and no power on earth seemed to be able to get the desktop
to display at full width and height 1920x1080 resolution
with the ATI video that comes with it in Windows 7.

Wondering if this was a vizio problem or a driver problem,
I booted a linux live USB I happened to have around, and Bam!
The screen comes up perfectly in full width and height
with crisp clear edges on things and text you can read.

So, for the first time ever in my experience, a linux video
driver works out of the box better than the Windows
drivers which seem to be the only thing the manufacturers
care about (of course this is 64 bit windows, which
the manufacturers may still not care about as much
as 32 bit).

I'll have to add this to the plug & play working with
the HP scanner on my all-in-one device - also the first
time I ever saw that happen, and on linux, not windows.