Protected WLAN

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed May 18 03:09:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 01:07 +0000, g wrote:
> On 05/17/2011 11:44 PM, JD wrote:
> <>
>
> > You call youtube a credible publication?
>
> yes/no.
>
> they do have all different ways of cracking wep, wpa, and wpa2
> that are mentioned in this thread.

WEP is known to be vulnerable. WPA has some weaknesses in some
circumstances. WPA2 however is thought to be secure if you use a
hard-to-guess password.

A quick look at Wikipedia could have told you this.

Just for completeness, I visited some of the referenced URLS:

> just a few from my bookmarks, which where easy to find via a little
> google time;
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJuXtjgIrA&feature=related

Tells you how to improve signal strength. Nothing on WEP, WPA or WPA2.

>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG9i2VPY_LE&NR=1

No longer available. Maybe the Men In Black removed it ...

>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lNqqryPBNU&NR=1

Stupid Wifi detection program for WinXP. Again, no mention of WEP, WPA
or WPA2.

>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P8l-PsvYak&NR=1

No explanation, but appears to be standard password-guessing attack.

>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP1BOZqrp5g&feature=related

ABC News report on cellphone hacking. Unrelated to Wifi.

> along with a few non youtube;
>
>   http://hackerwhacker.com/
>   http://whacker2.hackerwhacker.com/
>   http://wi-foo.com/
>   http://www.linux-wireless.com/Sniffers/

Random URLs of general sniffing and security pages.

In conclusion, the assertion that there are genuine WPA2 vulnerabilities
(other than guessing passwords) remains unsupported.

poc