[OT] My paranoia and skype, was Re: Protected WLAN

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Wed May 18 12:39:01 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 07:01:53 AM Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> Except for skype, of course... ;-) But that's old news. And now that
> Microsoft took it over, they will probably trade with the nsa for a
> backdoor... :-)

I apologize for the off topic remarks I am about to make.

I would be very surprised if skype didn't have back doors for governments.

Skype is proprietary and we can't examine the source for back doors.

There were allegations the Chinese Skype had a text chat back door.
http://blogs.skype.com/en/2008/10/skype_president_addresses_chin.html

My paranoia causes me to believe the back doors don't stop with text chat.
My paranoia causes me to believe multiple governments demanded back doors.

This is one of two reasons I don't want to use skype.
The other reason I don't want to use skype is I don't want to be a super node.

In my mind, it would be very easy for governments to be men in the middle,
to intercept interesting skype traffic, to be able to store conversations.

To put it plainly, I don't trust skype.

Sorry to go off topic.  Flame me if you wish.  I think I deserve to be flamed.