Amazing Linux victory!

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:36:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:48:08 +0200
Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> > I just hooked up a Dell Zino HD via hdmi to a vizio HD TV
> > and no power on earth seemed to be able to get the desktop
> > to display at full width and height 1920x1080 resolution
> > with the ATI video that comes with it in Windows 7.
>
> here is the solution for your specified problem, i also came across
> this when friends asked for help:
> http://www.aoclarkejr.com/ati-catalyst-9-9-overcan-and-underscan-options.html

Yea, after some web searches, I finally discovered this is
apparently a "feature", not a bug. I hesitate to try to imagine
the mental state of someone who could think this was helpful.
(And when I fix the underscan setting, I still think the
image may be scaled to something like 99.9% because the
fonts still don't look really right for the screen).

But on a more on topic subject related to the same machine:

I haven't installed fedora on a box with Windows already present
in ages. Are there any magic handshakes I need to know about
with all the magical special recovery partitions Dell seems to
have hidden on the disk. I'd like to preserve the Windows install
and just make some room to add fedora as well as a multi-boot
option.