bios update

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 18 20:48:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 10:55 -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> Apologies if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
>

> I have a single boot FC14 system on a Dell precision M6500 precision
> notebook and wish to update the BIOS.

I am confused. Your BIOS has nothing to do with the operating system you
use. If you use your system ID you should be able to download a file
which can be executed to update the BIOS. Maybe you will have to use the
Wine emulator or you Windows emulator but that is all.

> I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest
> match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
> This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"
>

> Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current
> installation?
> I have windows Virtual Box under FC14, or,
> Do I need to delete my installation, install windows and reinstall?
> As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
> install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my
> current system) and then install bios?
>
> Here is the link to the driver?
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=RHEL5&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M6500&hidos=RHEL5&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False
>

> thanks for any help,
> Sebastian

A pain in the ass of major dimensions. -- C.A. Desoer, on the solution
of non-linear circuits
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net