security in firefox4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:22:22 UTC 2011

2011/5/19 Misha Shnurapet <shnurapet at fedoraproject.org>:
> Here's what I did for privacy in Firefox:
> * used the BetterPrivacy plugin to delete Flash cookies on exit
> * set the browser to delete *regular* cookies on exit

You can use the CookieCuller extension to keep the cookies that you
want, such as logins.

> * blocked third-party cookies while online (may prevent advertisement networks from carrying information between sites)

This is wise.

> * used Ghostery plugin to block scripts from the major known tracking websites

Nice. I've used Ghostery in the past to let me know about scripts, but
I never knew about it's blocking feature.

> * used Flash Block to only watch the clips I intend to watch (may prevent click-jacking)

This is the single best performance enhancement that I've ever done to
a computer, it works better than a memory upgrade. Everyone for whom
I've installed Flashblock has thanked me. Flash really is the bane of
the internet. Note that the first thing that I do after installing
Flashblock is browse to Youtube and click "Allow Flash From This
Site".

> * additionally, AdBlock Plus (along with the Element Hiding Helper) can be used to block counters, ads designed to show up in your face and other crap like pocker games, etc.
>
> The "Do Not Track Me" option is a gag.

 100% correct.

--
Dotan Cohen