dell windows 7/fedora dual boot?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 13:53:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see strange and wondrous partitions on my new dell which no
> doubt have something to do with the magic dell system recovery
> and diagnostic magic. I have no feel for how badly any of this
> dell magic would be screwed up if I let anaconda overwrite
> the MBR.
>
> Does it seem like a safer option to use the Windows 7
> boot manager to handle the dual booting duties and install
> grub in the same partition with fedora? (Letting boot
> manager hand off to grub). I see an EasyBCD program
> available on the net which is supposed to simplify editing the
> Windows 7 boot manager config.

Shhhh.... Don't tell anybody :) But I did this on my work laptop so
obfuscate my linux install. Mine is still XP but assuming that it
still uses the NT style boot loader with boot.ini it should be pretty
easy.

In my case I had GRUB on the MBR but it was making me nervous so I
dd'ed the boot sector into "grub.bs", booted the XP CD to run 'fixmbr'
and then modified my boot.ini to call the grub boot sector. Works
pretty well.

Richard