Protected WLAN

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu May 19 18:00:37 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:36:50 PM James McKenzie wrote:
> I'll try to make this simple for JD.
> 1.  Hidden SSID.  Standard practice.
[snip]
> 7.  Changing the channel.  Standard practice and it prevents interference.

8. Turn off the router and the connection when (if) you're not using it.

My home connection gets relatively little use; it stays off unless I or my wife are actively online, which varies as to time and duration, but rarely if ever is the connection up for longer than four hours per day.  The casual 'connection sharer' won't want to piggyback an 'unreliable' connection.

9. Change the passphrase frequently, using a wired connection to do it.