Protected WLAN

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu May 19 18:56:27 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 11:45 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>   So, turning off SSID broadcast is really not a good suggestion.

If you have only one access point and no devices that insist on getting
the SSID before connecting turning off SSID broadcast does have the same
effect as a No Trespassing sign: it tells random strangers to stay away.
  If they ignore your sign they can't claim that "I didn't know I wasn't
welcome." because they've been warned.  Yes, it doesn't keep them away
but it may make it easier to prosecute them if they get caught.
Granted, that's not likely to be a consideration for your average home
user, but it might be for a small to medium business.