Protected WLAN

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Thu May 19 21:01:07 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 02:56 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 11:45 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>   So, turning off SSID broadcast is really not a good suggestion.
>
> If you have only one access point and no devices that insist on getting
> the SSID before connecting turning off SSID broadcast does have the same
> effect as a No Trespassing sign: it tells random strangers to stay away.

  No trespassing signs are often of more interest to those who want to
trespass ... after all, anyone with something to hide might be of more
interest ... :-)

  If you guys want to do things which violate the standards and make
things less/not functional - fine - you're knowledgeable enough to deal
with any ensuing problems.

 But the point here is please don't offer that advice to others as a
general set of instructions ... its really bad advice ... or at least
caveat it as such if you insist on offering bad advice.

   Add something like: this is bad advice and you may have problems -
but I am comfortable taking those risks and it seems to work for me
anyway and I haven't noticed problems .. ymmv.