USB wireless adaptor that supports Master Mode?

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Fri May 20 03:51:22 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 02:09 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 20:14:08 -0700
> Derek Tattersall wrote:
>
>> For whatever it's worth, while looking around the web, I found a mention
>> of a Belkin F5D7050 usb dongle that was reported to work in AP mode. I
>> bought one from Amazon (it was $12.94 so I took a chance), and I can
>> confirm that I was able to make it work as an Access Point with hostapd
>> 0.6.1.
> By golly, you are right! There are a lot of negative reviews
> of it, but it worked out of the box for me with hostapd. I just
> had my android phone connected to it and updated several market
> apps. No problems encountered.
>
> It appears to have a ralink chipset which is mentioned in the
> linux wireless website as supported.
>
> Hopefully by the time this belkin dongle dies, the linux support
> will be stable for the RTL8192cu in the first dongle I bought :-).
Glad it worked for you.

My laptop says its built in wireless is an RTL8192CE. Does that support
AP mode? I couldn't get it to work as an AP when I tried it. Which is
why I was looking for a USB dongle that would work.

What is the difference between an RTL8192ce and an RTL8192cu anyway?

Derek Tattersall