ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 20 04:14:43 UTC 2011
On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 12:19 +0900, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> Nope, if you're a plain user like me using an applet to "scan" you'll
> only see what's broadcast.
Nope, depending on your client, you'll see them all. Even Windows did
that. You'd see a list of *all* transmitting access points, and the
ones with the so-called hidden SSID listed as "unnamed."
It really is bogus advice to hide it.
1. Clueless user follows bogus advice, falsely believes it makes
2. Clueless user, then, finds things that they want to connect to
their WLAN, now, won't connect.
3. Clueless user has to ask for help.
4. Wastes all our time.
5. Slightly clueful user, now, starts to broadcast their SSID and
everything works fine.
6. Or, pigheaded clueless user continues to hide their SSID, and
continues to fight with WLAN and mailing list...
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.
More information about the users