Protected WLAN

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 20 04:14:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 12:19 +0900, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> Nope, if you're a plain user like me using an applet to "scan" you'll
> only see what's broadcast.

Nope, depending on your client, you'll see them all.  Even Windows did
that.  You'd see a list of *all* transmitting access points, and the
ones with the so-called hidden SSID listed as "unnamed."

It really is bogus advice to hide it.

     1. Clueless user follows bogus advice, falsely believes it makes
        them safer.
     2. Clueless user, then, finds things that they want to connect to
        their WLAN, now, won't connect.
     3. Clueless user has to ask for help.
     4. Wastes all our time.
     5. Slightly clueful user, now, starts to broadcast their SSID and
        everything works fine.
     6. Or, pigheaded clueless user continues to hide their SSID, and
        continues to fight with WLAN and mailing list...

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.