security in firefox4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 20 04:19:54 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> I do something similar with my DNS server.  I have a dead zone file,
>> which produces instant fails to any queries to any domain names I
>> associate it with.  It gives me neat, central, management of all
>> computers on the LAN.

Dotan Cohen:
> Is that for your entire network, or just one computer? If it's just
> for the one machine, you might find it easier to maintain a simple
> hosts file.

You might want to read my first paragraph, again...

Though, even for just one computer, it offers something that can't be
done with the hosts file:  Wildcarding.

If I wanted to blacklist an entire domain, and all of its subdomains, I
can't do that in the hosts file, I have to list each FQDN that I want to
block.

It also offers something else.  With the hosts file, you can only
associate a different IP with the domain name (than the real IP).  With
my solution you can offer a "no answer," essentially an "it does not
exist" response.  Which is a faster kill, avoiding any waiting for
running on the localhost.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686