Adblock Plus add-on for FireFox

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 18:39:02 UTC 2011

On 05/20/11 11:20, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 05:55:22 +0000, g wrote:
>
>> On 05/17/2011 05:44 AM, Jason Turning wrote:
>>> You might take a look at Privoxy. I run that on my Fedora laptop,
>>> Mandriva desktop and even my XP work computer.
>> privoxy does not show in search at;
>>
>>    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
>>

>> you could send a link when you recommend something.
> 	None is needed -- "yum install privoxy xinetd" has worked for all
> releases of Fedora so far. (Privoxy required xinetd when I first got it;
> I have no machine without it, on which I could test if that's still so.)

I have tried to use privoxy along with tor
and along with the firefox add-on torbutton.
It has not provided me with the type of security
I was looking for: namely being constantly barraged
by the javascripts from web sites that scan my
cookies, catalogue what I searched for and what
pages I accessed, ...etc, ...etc.
I have even found out that the Uverse modem
collects browsing history and sends it to AT&T.
How so very generous of them to provide such
un-requested "service".
Using the noscript add-on helps with some websites,
the contents of which are still readable/viewable in
spite of blocking their scripts. But many web sites
will simply not operate if you block their scripts:
youtube, ebay, hotmail, not to mention facebook
and other social web sites.
IMHO, the worst hole in Linux's security, notwithstanding
bad administration,  is the browser through which all the
java scripts from web sites hit your machine.